I often use our various Corner Tile dies as design elements in my layouts. However, I have used them as journal spots too. While all corners of your photos can be covered for a framed appearance, sometimes covering just one corner and using the space for journaling details helps to draw more attention to the featured photo.
Some examples of these from past posts include each of these ideas.
- Welcome Baby is an example of the dies being used to build a framed photo. The Corner Die 4×4, The Jumbo Corner Dies and the Corner Tile Set of 12. A Jumbo Corner Die is used to journal the baby’s birth details.
- Launch Time. On this layout the Corners 3×3 Die is used as a design element for patterned paper on one half and journaling on the other.
- Don’t Give Up the Ship. In this layout, only one corner of two photos is covered to bring attention to the photos and add details concerning the photos.
Once upon a time photo corners were used to place photos into large scrapbook type albums. Their sole purpose was to function as a way to hold the photos in place. Because the photos weren’t directly adhered to the album photos could easily be removed to see what was written on the backside of the photos.
However, they need not be relegated to just framing in a photo on our scrapbook pages. We can add them in a variety of ways, including the simple framing of the photo, or they can be a bit fancier, multicolored and decorated.
Now let’s look for some ways to dress those corners up as we add them to our layouts.
- Embossing: Embossing folders can add interest and texture, and help to set a theme. Tooled Leather for a western or masculine theme, scallops trimmed edge and my latest favorite, Art Deco.
- Journal block embellishment: corners to enhance the journal block
- Layers: Layers can add interest and depth/dimension to the page and highlight a special photo.
- Adding embellishments: pearls, Liquid Pearls, buttons, twines, and gems
- Adding other dies: decorative corners from scallop dot mat set, outtakes from other dies like the Large Graphic Die Set and the Graphic Frame 3×3 Die
- Patterned papers: to match frame or mat
- Using with additional frame or mat layers
I hope this gives you some ideas of your own for ways to use our various Corner Tile dies in your layouts. Experiment a little and find your own style or the style that’s perfect for your layouts.